Monday, October 17, 2016

I haven't met my prince but I do have a "date."

It's raining

For anyone who has not done much traveling, it's very surreal to not see the sun rise until 8:30a. I felt like a lazy bum sleeping in until then but I was not going to get up and get going in the dark. For anyone who has never been to Spain...the people don't wake up until 10a (well that's when the shops open!). The work hours are strange indeed.  

I'm in a room with 3 other women (2 of them are solo travelers) and one talks a lot. I mean a lot a lot. I sat in the bar last night and started talking with 2 photography students studying in Madrid. Raul is from Ecuador (he was intently preparing a presentation for school and didn't do too much talking). The other one (Sam) is from India but has a brother in SD. They are my dates for Tuesday night as we're going to the oldest running restaurant in the world...yes, in all the world. Read about it here
I also met one of the front desk/bartenders at the hostel (Marcos) who gave me some good tips on places to see and was from Brazil (by Igazu in fact). This world is so small...

Now where was I.. ¡Ah, claro que sí! This morning, I left the hostel with just my rain coat and felt some rain drops. I walked back in and much to Rodolfo's surprise, I said "I need an umbrella." Thank goodness I grabbed it. I started to do a walk that the Fodors guide book suggested when I realized the places I wanted to see are all closed on Mondays.  So I backtracked and went to Plaza Mayor which is a really large Plaza (as the name suggests).

 Then I walked to Puerta del Sol and took my obligatory photo at Kilómetro Cero - rocking the Converse sneaks.

 Finally, I walked to Mercado San Miguel and had a jamon y queso croissant and cafe con leche. Leche caliente to be precise (because they ask you how you want it). I also had sangria con cava because why not? 

It had started to rain pretty steadily so I needed to figure out something indoors to do. 

I decided I would go to the Royal Palace (to increase my chances of meeting a "Spanish Prince"). I bought the audio tour and saw some really cool things but no photos were allowed so you'll have to go yourself. I did not meet any royalty but I took a picture where I could since my mom's side claims to have royal blood. 


3 comments:

  1. This is already so fun to see where you are even If everything is closed on a Monday! Who is standing next to you (left) dressed in purple suede shoes? - see picture at the Origin de Carreteras Radiales? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prince. Or the artist formerly known as Prince. Kidding. It's my jacket.

      Delete
  2. Love it! I wish it was as easy for me to meet people while I travel!

    ReplyDelete