Now where were we. Ahh, right. 20 baht. 11/29 poured like crazy in Chiang Mai. It felt so good that I ran to the pharmacy and ATM without an umbrella. I was drenched and got a ton of odd looks but I didn't care - that was the first time I felt cooled down.
Checked out of hostel and started to walk down the street with my backpack that suddenly feels loads heavier and a red bus was pulled over.
Allow me to explain the red buses: they are shared taxi cabs on old datsun trucks. The bed of the truck has benches and for the more adventurous, you can hang on to a ladder outside. You flag one down and tell them where you are going. If they are headed that way, they accept your ride and you get a price on the spot. I went up to a red bus and said "airport." He said ok, 20 baht. I couldn't believe my luck because my new friend Maria had said hers cost 60 baht. So here I am thinking I scored and Maria got suckered. Uh, nope. Wrong. Try again. Do not pass go and certainly do not collect $200. My red bus guy took me to the Airport plaza shopping center - a good .621 miles away! I had to walk in the heat (because by this time it stopped raining). I arrived at the airport drenched. So when a red bus driver makes you an offer that's too good to be true, think twice!
No comments:
Post a Comment