Saturday, November 30, 2013

Bangkok day 2

Woke up and my head still hurt from yesterday's taxi mis-adventure and bike ride in the sun. My hostel has breakfast for 120 baht and it includes a latte. This is a picture of the reception desk and coffee bar
After losing a pair of $20 REI underwear yesterday, I was more careful today when doing long awaited laundry. No mishaps so far but I haven't checked if they are still drying or have flown away. 
Today I went to Wat Pho and saw the reclining Buddha. It is large and you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Pho
Pretty cool! I was going to do the Grand Palace but it's 500 baht (that's how much my cab from the airport was) and the dress code is strictly enforced - elbows all the way to ankles must be covered. So I skipped it. Maybe tomorrow? Or not. I bought a snack on the way home today - odd flavor. Like meat BBQ. Blah! 
Speaking of on the way home, I accidentally walked through a protest of Thai people. The travel dept of US Government had sent an email warning of protests in Bangkok. I was staying away from the area but on the way back from Wat Pho, the one street I knew to get back to hostel had suddenly turned into a sit-in! I quickly walked through because "even the most peaceful of protests can turn violent" as evidenced by the police in riot gear blocking entrances to some buildings. 
Editors note: it's a lot scarier than I thought. Eek. Get me outta here!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25173348
On a random but relevant note: it is astonishing that some people are so shady - even as you're going to temples. I heard about a scam where a stranger walks up to you and tells you the temple is closed. A nearby tuk tuk driver will offer to drive you to one that is open. Well that scam didn't happen to me because I am completely mistrustful of all strangers here. A woman called out asking where I was going and said the temple was closed. I said to the person "no hablo ingles" (I figured if most Thais don't know English, they wouldn't know Spanish!)


No comments:

Post a Comment